Monday, April 13, 2009

Chit Chat

I was running a little late with this task but luckily there were a few lovely ladies I was fortunate to organise a chat with. After a few hours of chatting I think we all got a lot out of the experience.

Back in 1999 when I was first connected to the internet ICQ was the “in” computer chat program. If you weren’t on ICQ you were missing out! Everyone from my school would be on ICQ till all hours of the evening. Not long after that the novelty ran off we all moved on to MSN Messenger and it was connected to our emails, it made sense to progress to MSN.

I haven’t used ICQ since about 2000 and I have to say not much has changed. Actually, they have developed some very cool emoticons but apart from that nothing else has changed.

It is a great way to have a chat; however there are so many programs that are so much more advanced now that ICQ has really been left behind in the dark ages. We ended up asking for each other’s emails so we could add each other on Facebook to keep in touch for future study related tasks. Facebook is so interactive in comparison to ICQ and it offers its users a vast array of functions. Along with having your own profile page that everyone can be updated by, you can also chat as you would on ICQ.

There were 3 of us who organised to chat, which was slightly difficult as we needed to keep up with what each person was saying. ICQ doesn’t account for someone being a slightly slower typist than the rest. I found I had to scroll around to see what was previously written so I could reply.

One of my fellow chatters was quite nervous about security on ICQ and giving out her person information. I can’t say I have ever really thought about the security or even read the ‘Terms & Conditions’. From my experiences ICQ has always been quite a secure program; however her cautious nature made me think twice about how readily I add programs and give out my particulars.

Overall we really enjoyed the chat. I can’t say I found this task difficult but it was great to chat to other people about the course and how they are experiencing different aspects of it. I personally think ICQ has been left behind as technology has advanced. I’d go with Myspace or Facebook anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment