Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Stone Age Telnet

Task A
The Telnet screen appeared and I felt as though I had been welcomed to the Stone Ages. I must admit I had no idea how to use it. I read the instructions on Microsoft.com and typed in “?” to see what commands I needed to use. A group of commands were displayed, however there were no instructions or commands on how to connect with a host computer or remote server”. After visiting Microsoft.com for about the 5th time I stumbled upon the “o” command, which is the command to establish a Telnet connect to a host computer or remote server. I simply typed in “o library.deakin.edu.au” and the database appeared, all the options were very clear. I am glad to be back from the land of the dinosaurs; however I did enjoy the simplicity of Telnet. Telnet has made me realise the extent to which the internet has evolved over the years.

Task B

My initial reaction was how amazing and creative to make a movie out of simple text! Who would have thought that Star Wars could have originated from there? The internet had to start somewhere for it to advance to what it is today. Once the initial product was created it could be further developed and along with new technologies it was able to evolve into what we know today. As our needs change so does the internet which has enabled rapid growth of new applications.




No comments:

Post a Comment